As far as I'm concerned, the wedding of the century happened back in 2009, because, oh man, you should have seen how my wife looked in her dress.
But since Will and Kate's wedding seems to be making a run at second place, I thought I'd at few thoughts to the mix.
For instance, I read with interest Joanna Molloy's column in the New York Daily News yesterday. Entitled "Royal Wedding: Women Get Misty-Eyed, But Guys Just Don't Get It," she writes about the perceived stark difference along gender lines in terms of reaction to the royal wedding. In other words, women woke up at the crack of dawn to watch every second, while guys grumbled at the coverage and wondered what the fuss was all about.
Look, I won't deny that there's something to that. My wife spent Friday night with a group of women watching the whole wedding on DVR, while I stayed home and watched baseball with my dog. Clearly, our different interests were on full display.
But I submit to you that this is a good thing, not a bad thing.
Part of the richness about life as a couple is that you fill in each other's gaps. My wife brings a diverse range of hobbies and interests to our partnership that I didn't have on my own; I like to think I do the same for her. And that makes our collective life more complete. When she got home, she filled me in on all the ceremony details, and I let her know the final scores. We both went to bed happy.
I disagree with the premise of that article, then, that guys "don't understand" why this was a big deal. If something is important to my wife, then it's a big deal to me. And vice versa. For instance, I've stayed up until the middle of the night, or have gotten up at the crack of dawn, to watch sporting events, and my wife thinks that's awesome. Not only that, but she'd definitely watch and cheer with me - if the game was still on at a reasonable hour :) By the same token, we've looked through hundreds of Will and Kate wedding photos over the weekend.
That's the beauty of a relationship: what yours is mine, what's mine is yours. And I'll be the first to hope that this is what Will and Kate have found in each other.
No comments:
Post a Comment